Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

How can I find out if my card is still valid after being out

Customer Question

How can I find out if my green card is still valid after being out of the USA? Applied for a reentry permit in March 2013 for 24 months because of a contract commitment on my job. Granted the reentry permit. Currently residing in Libya where the embassy is closed. Could not travel because of the internal conflict. Im not even sure which consulars office in what country I should contact.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

How did you get your green card? How long have you been outside of the U.S.? When does the Re-Entry Permit expire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Out of the USA since March 2013. Rented permit was for 24 months. Green card though the diversity lottery. Green card valid 9/2011 to 9/2021

When did or does your Re-Entry Permit expire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
March 2015 is the date the reentry permit expired

Well, because your Re-Entry Permit recently expired, I believe you have the following choices:

1) Apply for an SB-1 to come back to the U.S. showing that the reason that you took so long after your Re-Entry Permit expired was beyond your control. Here is a link:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/returning-residents.html

2) You can use your green card to come back to the U.S. If they don't give you a problem coming back, you can apply for another Re-Entry Permit if you need 2 more years, but after that, they get harder and harder to get and they usually only give them for 1 year at a time.

3) You can use the green card to come back to the U.S., but if they give you problems, you may have to show that you are planning to stay in the U.S. from that point on or you may have to prove to an immigration judge in Removal Proceedings that you did not intent to abandon your green card status. You can do that by showing that you have been paying U.S. taxes, that you have been maintaining a U.S. home, that you have been paying U.S. bills, that your immediate family is in the U.S., etc. etc.

Technically, your status is still valid until an Immigration Judge decides that it is not, or until you file an I-407 acknowledging that you abandoned it.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!