Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Is it legal to ship gold from Ghana if it has all of the

Customer Question

Is it legal to ship gold from Ghana if it has all of the proper documentation. And if so is there a duty charge on it
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is not illegal to ship gold internationally. However, most "promises" of gold that come from Ghana are scams. See HERE and and HERE. If you are unsure whether you are being scammed, please reply and tell me a bit about the "deal" so I can see whether this is a scam or not.

Finally, in USA, there is no duty on gold coins, medals or bullion.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Have payed 40000 dollars so far to have this gold shipped to the usa. The gold made it as far as the UK and now is on a Credit on hold from improper paper work. I wished I could send you a copy of this email so you could see it is that possible? It says I have to pay 78640 to the Ministry of interior Ghana for the legal documenation. What do you think? Brian
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

(ignore)

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Brian,

Did they contact you? Did they claim this is an inheritance, etc?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to say that it seems that you have been scammed by the Ghana Gold Internet Scam. See HERE. The person will claim that the package has been detained, and will demand more money, and more money, and more money. They will never stop. However, there was never any gold. I am sorry.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I met a girl online of course but she is from Sweden. She went down there as a relief worker for some agency. She bought some land and had it mined and got 90 kilos of gold from it. So no nothing has been mentioned about inheritance. There is a lawyer from Ghana involved named Mr Coffee Bentil I have payed him nothing so far he is wanting money when all is said and done. I've been dealing with this for about 6 months and have been on Skype with both the lawyer and Nickolina. Not sure what to do!
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

You've been scammed. This is a romance gold scam. See HERE. From that link:

• Scammer has 200 bars of 24K Ghanaian gold, left behind from her/his deceased Grandmother, each bar with a value of $16,000 dollars in the U.S. but had no value in Ghana. He/she (scammer) was to fly to the states with the gold and then the Immigration Customs Department at the Ghana airport called the victim. The (scammer) was arrested for trying to get out the country with undocumented gold. The victim was told the (scammer) would go to prison for life if the police came and the victim contact information would be forwarded over to Interpol and be traced to the local authorities here in the U.S.
  • The victim was told they would lose their job and be arrested. The (scammer) could be released if ($3000) was sent for the gold consignment and immigration papers. Two days later the victim was told the gold was sold to the Ghana bank and was worth 3.3 million U.S. dollars. Then was asked to give personal bank account information so the funds would be transferred into the victim bank account immediately (it never happened).

There is no girl. This is only a scammer. And no lawyer by that name - again this is all a scam. You need to report this to the authorities using the IC3 link now - see HERE. You also need to stop all communication with the scammer(s).