Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I would like to know the process of applying family visa as

Customer Question

I would like to know the process of applying for a family visa as my uncle is a US citizen and I am still on a F-1 visa and he is willing to sponsor my visa for residency.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Unfortunately your uncle cannot petition you. The family petition can only be filed by parent, spouse or sibling.

The best way for you to get your resident status in the US is through employment. Once you complete your course of study you can work on OPT for one year and impress the employer. That employer will want to keep ou and would sponsor you for the H1B temporary work visa. Once you are on that you will an employer is usually willing to sponsor an employee for their green card.

This is the route most international students who want to remain here pursue.

You can also enter the DV lottery next month. Here is the link to the Dept of State instructions for entry

http://www.usadiversitylottery.com/requiremnts.html

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judith,Thanks for letting me know this. What is the timeline after I finish my course of study do I have to file the OPT?
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

The earliest you may apply for OPT is 90 days (3-months) prior to the completion of studies*, and the latest you may apply for OPT is 60 days following program completion. You need to have your DSO endorse your I-20 for OPT before you file.

Your school website will have information for you on OPT.

Judith