Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I'm visiting (vacation) from Nigeria month. However because

Customer Question

I'm visiting (vacation) from Nigeria for a month. However because I'm pregnant, I was only allowed for 20days and wrote 'no extension' on my passport even though the officer told me I can extend verbally. Does it mean I cannot extend my stay or what?
PLease help,
Princess
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

I'm a little confused - why would he say you could extend, while at the same tie writing it in your passport that you cannot extend?

Never mind my previous question. I have an answer for you now. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: When an officer writes that in a passport, it is basically a recommendation to another officer who might receive an extension request not to extend your status.

But this is only a recommendation, not an order. The immigration officer at the port of entry is not the one who makes decisions about whether or not to extend your status. Only a USCIS officer that reviews your request makes that decision.

QUESTION: Does it mean I cannot extend my stay or what?

ANSWER: No, it does not mean you cannot extend your stay. It means the officer recommends that your stay should not be extended if you request it. But the officer at the USCIS is the one who makes that decision.

All you can do is file for the extension, and hope that the officer ignores the border officer's recommendation. If you decide to file the extension, you must file it before your current status expires. Otherwise it will be denied.

Note that even if your status expires while the extension is processing, you are safe to remain in the US and wait for the result, but ONLY if you file the extension request before your current status expires.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!