Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I am 19 years of age, i was at berklee college of music but

Customer Question

I am 19 years of age, i was at berklee college of music but cannot attend anymore due to financial reasons. I am from the UK and want to move to the US. How do i do this?
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cousin also when she is 18 will obtain her US passport. I dont know if that is of any help.
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

When you say "move to the US," do you mean permanently?

Where are you right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James,I would like to be able to move permanently but i know that this is a difficult process. Obtaining a green card at this point is probably a bit to soon and probably impossible. I think the best option now is a work visa, something that could keep me there as a musician for at least three or four years as that would allow me to start a career and hopefully keep a job rolling. It doesnt matter if the visa is not relative to the musician part but as long as it allows me to work in the US and then i can eventually apply for another visa.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also i am in the united kingdom right now

Hi there,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response. I was offline when you responded and only just returned. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

You can't come to the US for the purpose of working as a musician, and not have a visa that is related to your being a musician. With that in mind, there are only a few non-immigrant options for musicians/artists/entertainers - O-1 and P-visas.

Here is information on the O-1: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/an-o-1-visa-the-us-do-you-qualify.html

Here is information on the various P-visas: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/a-p-1-p-2-p-3-visa-the-us-do-you-qualify.html

Look those over and if you have any questions about those, feel free to ask them.

Of course you can ask me any other question related to your original question as well, but the links above are a good place to start.