Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I applied U.S. Citizenship and the officer who interviewed

Customer Question

I applied for a U.S. Citizenship and the officer who interviewed me on 9/8/2015 said that he needed to review my brother's file first before he can make a decision on my application. I've been in the U.S. since 1992 and have been working since then and have been paying taxes every year. I acquired my Green Card in 2000. My question is what is the relevance of my brother's file to my application. Neither I nor my brother is a minor. I am applying for an individual citizenship, not for my family.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Well, you tell me. How did you get your Residency status originally? How did your bother get his status? Did he petition for you? When?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I acquired my Green Card through marriage to a U.S. Citizen. My brother did the same  He did not petition for me. Thank you for the quick response.

Are you still married to the same U.S. Citizen? For how long? Is your brother still married to the same U.S. Citizen? For how long?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are both divorced now. My ex-husband is not capable of having kids and got re-married. I didn't. My brother got divorced. His reason is not my business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was married from 1996 - 2003.

Well, if they believe that both of you got married just for the green card, you are going to be denied. How soon after you got your 10 year green card did you FILE for divorce? I am not asking when the divorce was completed, I want to know when you FILED for divorce. Also, when did your brother file for divorce? How soon after he got his 10 year green card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got married in 1996 and filed for divorce in 2002. That's when I found out that my ex-husband is not capable of having kids. And actually, I did not file for the divorce. My ex-husband did.
I'd answer for my brother but I don't know when he got married or filed for divorce.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To comment on your statement above, we did not marry for the green card. We're Catholics and grew up in the Philippines and did not believe in divorce. There is no divorce in the Philippines. Unfortunately, that's what we had to face here.

But I still need to know the exact dates:

1) When did you get your 2 year green card?

2) When did you get your 10 year green card?

3) When did your spouse file for divorce?

4) When did your brother get his green card?

5) Was it a 2 year or 10 year green card?

6) When did he or his spouse file for divorce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the specific answers to most, if not all, of these questions. Not at this moment anyway. Do you have an office in L.A.? How much do you charge for personal consultation? I can look up my file and call my brother tomorrow to get dates from him.
I did not know there is a 2-year and a 10-year green card. I just know I got mine in 2000. I'll check my file and will see if I can give you a more detailed answer.
3) When did your spouse file for divorce? He filed in 2002
4) When did your brother get his green card? This one is a guess. I think he got his in either 2000 or 2001.

Let's discuss tomorrow. It is past 2am for me so I am going to log off as I am on the East coast. Do not worry, your question does not close. The 2 year green card is given when the marriage is less than 2 years old at the time of approval. I really just need to know how soon after getting the 2 year or 10 year card was the divorce filed in your case and in your brother's case. No need to respond now, just get back to me when you have the information for both cases. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Have a good night!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Let me know the answer to those questions. Thank you!

Were you able to get me that information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. My information is still incomplete. Once complete, I will update you.
Thank you for the follow-up.

No problem. I will be here. Thank you.