Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Woman. I come to america 3 years ago and marry American man.

Customer Question

I am Ukrainian woman. I come to america 3 years ago and marry American man. He supposed to get my immigration papers done. He no do. He very mean to me. I call police several times and spend time womans shelter. Now he not finish paperwork. I very upset and want to divorse him. I no know what to do. Immigration want happy family. We not happy family. He bad man. What should I do
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You should file an I-360 petition as an abused spouse of a US citizen. Not all families are happy and the Violence Against Women Act VAWA is to protect people like you.

You need to gather all your police records, get a restraining order against him, get verification from the woman's shelter that you had to take refuge there.

Where are you in Colorado? There are free legal clinics to help abused women like you with their immigration paperwork.

If you are living with him now you need to leave before he hurts you badly or kills you. Abuse only gets worse over time, not better. I am surprised the social worker at the shelter did not discuss with you your immigration options.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.
Judith