Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My daughter is a US citizen living in Japan since 2009,

Customer Question

My daughter is a US citizen living in Japan since 2009, except for holiday visits home. She has kept her address here, and has kept her drivers license and a banking account with our address on it. She recently married and has started the immigration process for her husband to return with her. they plan on living with us for about 4 months until she gets settled at the university where she will be getting her master's degree. Neither of them will have employment waiting for them upon their arrival. We are concerned about what exact Affidavit of Support form we need to fill out, and what kind of sponsor(s) we are to be considered. Regarding the paperwork questions, do we consider that we are going to be household members when they arrive, or treat it as if we are now? Do we file the form as household members, or as joint sponsors. Can a family member be a joint sponsor. Do we provide financial evidence of support based on currently being a family of two, just my husband and myself, or based on the fact that we will be a household of 4 when they arrive. The national VISA center could not answer that, and she has made several calls to the Embassy in Tokyo? I think as well as to the VISA center
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

My daughter is a US citizen living in Japan since 2009, except for holiday visits home. She has kept her address here, and has kept her drivers license and a banking account with our address on it. She recently married and has started the immigration process for her husband to return with her. they plan on living with us for about 4 months until she gets settled at the university where she will be getting her master's degree. Neither of them will have employment waiting for them upon their arrival. We are concerned about what exact Affidavit of Support form we need to fill out, and what kind of sponsor(s) we are to be considered. Regarding the paperwork questions, do we consider that we are going to be household members when they arrive, or treat it as if we are now?

ANSWER: You file the Affidavit of Support assuming the situation when they get here. So that would be living iwth you.

QUESTION: Do we file the form as household members, or as joint sponsors.

ANSWER: Household members with the I-864A. So your daughter files I-864 and you file form I-864A.

QUESTION: Can a family member be a joint sponsor.

ANSWER: Yes. But in the same household, it is I-864A that you file. Your daughter files I-864.

QUESTION: Do we provide financial evidence of support based on currently being a family of two, just my husband and myself, or based on the fact that we will be a household of 4 when they arrive.

ANSWER: 4.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help? Please respond.