Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am a permanent resident of the United States since.. I

Customer Question

I am a permanent resident of the United States since..
I received permanent residency in 1982.
When I married in 2004 .
I was required by U.S. Government laws to file new paperwork adding my married name paying ridiculous fees to have it added & now 10 years later this August my driving license was due to be re newed only I'm told I can't because my permanent resident card is expired & I thought not possible.. I'm so disgusted & confused..
My parents paid a lawyer along with company transfer for our permanent U.S. Cards with no date of expiration so why am I been penalised because I married requireing I have to re new every 10 years & paying $160 for the I-90 form to fill out, $450 processing fee & $85 for fingertips.. I'm disgusted not to mention inconvenience & struggle to even to understand this crap due to damage from stroke.. What can be done
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

That why I always tell people that have green cards with no expiration date to NOT file an I-90. You cannot go backwards from that. Once you file an I-90, you will be renewing every 10 years. Is that what has happened in your case? Why haven't you applied for U.S. Citizenship?