Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

Thanks again. My son (age 28) was born here in Bermuda and

Customer Question

Thanks again. My son (age 28) was born here in Bermuda and has always resided here, has dual citizenship (no ss #) through his father who was born and resides in Atlanta. As his mother, his he able to petition for myself and his sister to receive a green
card. If yes and his income does not meet the requirement the requirements to sponsor me, am I then able to have another US citizen/lawful permanent resident sponsor us? Am I in the category to automatically receive my green card or will there be a waiting
period. Lastly, I've been married to my sons stepfather for 10 yrs, but married 15 days after my son turned 19. Is there a way for him to work and live in the US. My questions are based on the premise that I am eligible. Sorry if I have asked too many questions.
Thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

As his mother, his he able to petition for myself and his sister to receive a green card.? Am I in the category to automatically receive my green card or will there be a waiting period. He is allowed to petition both of you. There is no wait time for your green card to be available but there is a 12 year wait time for his sister. In addition, he would have to move to the US at the time that you go to the interview in order for you to be approved.

If yes and his income does not meet the requirement the requirements to sponsor me, am I then able to have another US citizen/lawful permanent resident sponsor us? Yes. They would be called the joint sponsor.

Lastly, I've been married to my sons stepfather for 10 yrs, but married 15 days after my son turned 19. Is there a way for him to work and live in the US. My questions are based on the premise that I am eligible. Your son cannot petition him because he needed to have married you before your son turned 18 for your son to petition him. However, once you have a green card, you can petition for your husband and it would take about 1.5 years for him to be eligible for his green card right now.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is good news. My daughter is 12 yrs old, does the 12 old wait for her still apply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also saw on another website where a us citizen who lives in Ireland with his with want to petition his stepson. He stated that he would not be moving to the US with him. The stepfather was told roughly the same info, but was not told he need to also move there.

Yes, the 12 year wait still applies if her brother petitions her. However, once you have a green card you can petition for her and the wait is about a year and a half.

I am not sure what you read but the person petitioning you does need to immigrate to the US before or at the same time as the person they are petitioning (you).

I hope this clarifies. Please remember that I only receive credit when you leave a positive rating. Thanks for your consideration.