Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I want to renew my visa which expires january 28 2016, what

Customer Question

I want to renew my visa which expires january 28 2016, what do I need to do?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

I am missing a lot of information. Please answer the following:

1) What type of visa is it?

2) Where are you now?

3) Do you mean the I-94 expires (i.e., your status)? Or do you mean the actual visa stamp that you got at the US consulate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
j1, nevada. the visa needs to renewed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i get an answer?

OK, thank you. Yes, you can get an answer. But you need to be patient. I still do not have all of the information I need.

Also, please respond here. Do not repost or respond in the other post, as duplicate questions only delay responses and confuse Experts.

Why do you need to renew the visa, if you are already in the US? The I-94 you received at entry determines if you are legally in the US, not the visa that you got from the consulate.

Do you mean to say that your status expires in January?

Also, what type of J1 is it? Intern, Teacher, Researcher, Au Pair, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry ,what do I need to do,l am a taking care of children now

I need you to answer all of the questions I've asked. So you are on the J-1 Au Pair program, correct?

Also, please be specific about exactly what it is that expires in January. The visa is the thing with your picture on it that you received from the US. The I-94 is the document you received when you entered the US and has an expiration date. If you did not get an I-94, you received a stamp in your passport when you actually entered the US and met the immigration officer. You need to be specific so I can help you...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is preliminary research, I am not sending more money. this is another online scam, rip-off.

I'm not asking you to pay anything! I'm asking you to answer question so I can help you. I don't understand what the problem is. Ignore any requests for additional payment. They are not required.

Since you are not answering my questions, I can only answer you based on what I know. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: If you are asking about your J-1 visa stamp in your passport, which has a picture on it, and for which you interviewed and got the stamp in your home country, you would apply for a brand new visa the way you did the first time. You need to contact the program sponsor and get a DS-2019. You also need to apply for the J-1 visa by filling out DS-160. Here is information on how to apply for the J-1 visa stamp through the US consulate.

If you already are in the US and you are attempting to get an extension of status without leaving the US, then you need to contact the program sponsor and get a new DS-2019. You must do this before the current DS-2019 expires. Look at Item 3 on your current DS-2019 to make sure it has not yet expired.

If you received an I-94 when you entered that has "D/S" on it, then you do not have to send anything to the USCIS. You only have to contact the program sponsor to get a new DS-2019 with valid dates.

If the I-94 or stamp you received when you entered the US and talked to the officer has an expiration date on it, then you have to get a new DS-2019, and file form I-539 to the USCIS.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else?