Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am in OPT completed my masters in May 2015 and i am

Customer Question

Hello, I am in OPT completed my masters in May 2015 and i am working i an IT Company in Sanjose,CA and i changed my employer to a new employer. Will ot be a problem to me ?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today my old employer had send me a latter stated that to pay $10000 for breaking the contract and i am surprised to see that email from their company attorney as i did not sign any contract with them.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Is the new employment related to your field of study? Did you inform your DSO and update your OPT address?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

I want to help, but I really need you to respond. Do you know if your old employer spent any money on you to train you or to file anything for you like perhaps they filed an H-1B petition for you?

The new employment would have to be in your field of study. You will need to inform your DSO about the chance. As to the money that your old employer says that you owe them, send them a certified letter asking them to provide the contract that you signed that makes you liable to them for $10,000. If they cannot provide said contract, ask them why they believe that you owe them $10,000. I don't think they will have a good explanation and if there is no good explanation or contract, tell them that you will see them in court. I doubt they will spend thousands of dollars in attorney fees to try to sue you for something on such a weak case.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!