Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Am thinking of retiring to California. I am a UK ExPat at

Customer Question

Hello I am PeterI am thinking of retiring to California. I am a UK ExPat at this time. I have fairly substantial assets invested in real estate in UK and Europe. I have a Partner with whom I am contemplating marriage she is a French National presently in LA on a Temporary Visa for 1 year associated with her recent studies.
In a perfect world I would keep some of my rental income in the UK and move to LA settle there and simply pay my UK Tax on my UK Income. I would like to Invest in Rental Property in the USA (probably Detroit where I believe there will be significant capital growth fairly soon).
As an Expat I am not subject to Capital Gains in the UK.
I wish if possible to avoid Any possibility of Double Taxation.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

I wish it was that easy. Investment in a passive business like rental income would not work. Would you be able to invest in an active business? How much money would you be able to invest? In what location?