Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am an American citizen from an Algerian background. I live

Customer Question

Hi, My name is***** am an American citizen from an Algerian background. I live and work in New York. I met a palestinian man that I fail in love with through a friend, a year ago. He lives in Amman Jordan. As crazy as that sounds...we want to get
married. How long it would take before he can come tithe States??
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello Meriem, my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

No this is not crazy, I have many customers who fall in love through the internet. Did you and he meet in person yet?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No....not yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We haven't met yet....but we really know what we are doing
We skype and talk everyday

The US immigration laws will not allow you to file a petition for him as your fiance until you have met in person. The law requires a face to face meeting within 2 years of filing the I-129F petition.

You would have to go to Jordan and meet.

This requirement trips up a lot of US citizens who have met a fiance via the internet because they are not able to travel to meet their fiance.

There is a provision in the law to waive the personal meeting but only if it is extreme hardship (travel would impair your health or you have a medical condition that prevents travel or your religion prohibits a meeting prior to marriage). USCIS seldom grants the waiver and if they do the consul whom the fiance interviews with can deny the visa if they think the applicant is using the relationship just to get a visa for the US.

I have no doubt you have given this a lot of careful consideration, but the law is the law.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I totally understand that the law is the law....and I am aware about what are the requirements for a fiance visa....I am not interested in filing for a fiance visa. I will go to Jordan and get married. My family will go with me and attend my wedding.
My question is how long for then my husband it would take for him to be able to come to NY?

Thank you Meriem for telling me what you already know. I have no way of knowing that.

Unfortunately, you will have to be patient because it will take a total of 6-10 months for you and he to go through the arduous process of him immigrating.
You will file form I-130 with the USCIS here in the US at the lockbox (PO Box) as per the instructions.
You must include with the form a G-325A for you and he along with 2 passport style photos of each of you.
You can find those forms and instructions at this link

http://www.uscis.gov/forms
Once your petition is approved (it will take 3-5 months) you will be notified and the petition will be sent to the National Visa Center. In approximately 2-3 weeks they will send you a bill for the immigrant visa fee $230 and your Affidavit of Support (I-864) $88.
Once you pay these you will receive instruction on submitting the I-864 and he will get his instructions on beginning the immigrant visa process by submitting the DS-230 Immigrant Visa Application.
After that is received the USCIS will request his background/security check be done by the FBI.
When the clearance on him is received his file is forwarded to the US consulate or Embassy closest to him.
He will then receive his instructions for medical and visa appointment.
He will be told what documentation to bring.
In their attempts to identify marriages that are not made in good faith you and he need to document your relationship with pictures, cards, emails, printouts of your skype conversations, etc.
AFter his interview he will be told to leave his passport and the immigrant visa packet will to sent back within 2 weeks at which time he may travel to the US. He has 6 months to use the visa.

Upon arrival he is processed as a permanent resident and he will receive her resident card in the mail in 30-60 days. He will be a conditional resident and you and he will have to file to remove the conditions within the 90 day window of the expiration of his 2 year conditional status.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you.. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. I will remember you and review our question history. Thank you.

Judith