Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

A friend of me has violated learner's permit and was

Customer Question

Hi, A friend of me has violated learner's permit and was charged with misdemeanor, he has already paid the fine. Now he's applying f1 visa, on his ds160 form when answering "if you have committed any crimes", should he say yes? If he said no, will the
VO find out his criminal record?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

He needs to disclose this to the consul at the interview. Yes, in conduction the background check the FBI sees all crimes in the data bank. They gather their criminal history form over 20 different sources.

There is still opportunity to correct his answer saying he misunderstood because it was a traffic violation. He needs a certified copy of the court disposition to take on the interview.

If he is caught in a lie he will have a permanent bar from ever in life coming to the US.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he should answer "yes" for the criminal record question on DS160 form right?
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Correct, YES. And he needs a certified copy of the court disposition to take on the interview.

Judith