Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

My father came from Cuba in 1980. He is now 67 years old, he

Customer Question

Hi, my father came from Cuba in 1980. He is now 67 years old, he is married to an American citizen since 1991, but he has an order of deportation to Cuba. Can he appeal this order? He has no family in Cuba.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am American citizen by naturalization.
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney from Florida helping you today.

When did your father receive an order of deportation? Has your dad ever been convicted of any crimes in the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He received the order of deportation around 2003 and he was sentenced to 6 years for 2 cases. An old one from New Jersey related to drugs and for fraud to medical insurances companies in Orange County, Florida. He was in prison from 1997 to 2003.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once a year he has to report to immigration authorities and he is wearing an electronic device.

What are the dates of both convictions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One is from 1984 and the other from 1996.

whats the exact date and charge from 1996?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
March 1st, 1994.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The date of the offense is March 1st, 1994 and he was sentenced on 04/05/1999.

What are the two exact offenses that he was charged with? Did you he ever apply for a 212(c) waiver when he was in immigration court proceedings? Did he have an attorney?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Four counts of misrepresentation, organized fraud for 50,000 or more, and ACQUIRE PROP. F/RACKETEERING. All the previous are from the 1994 one. He did not have an immigration lawyer at the time of the order of deportation, but he said he was guilty because another inmate told him that he will be able to get out the immigration center faster and he though, he will never be deported. I am going to ask him about the waiver and what are the charges from NJ.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I just asked him. The charge from NJ is intent of distribution. He said he was in the immigration center since 09/2003 to 01/2004, and when he was there a person called him in the phone with an interpreter and told him that he was representing him. He indicated that it was better for him to say he was guilty because if he does not say it, he will be in prison for many more years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot, he said he does not remember he completed the waiver 212c. He does not remember he completes anything.

OK, but I am still confused here. You are giving me many dates. What was the date he was arrested in NJ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On NJ he was arrested on 1985, but he never went to court. When they were investigating him for the case of Orange County, they discovered that he never went to court in NJ.

Was he a legal permanent resident when he received the deportation order?

Hello again, I'm not sure if you receive my last question. It is very important to get an answer.
Was your father a legal permanent resident when he received the deportation order?