Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

This is a shot but here goes! My family was set to move from

Customer Question

Hi this is a long shot but here goes! My family was set to move from Ireland to New York about 20 years ago but never did, we all had green cards and social security cards, and as far as I know we had everything we needed to move! My question is .... Would I be able to renew that green card in anyway/ or would it be any easier for me to get another one as I've been through the process before? Any feed back would be great thank you
Regards Patrick
Submitted: 1 year ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello Patrick, my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Would I be able to renew that green card in anyway/ or would it be any easier for me to get another one as I've been through the process before? Any feed back would be great thank you

Would I be able to renew that green card in anyway/ or would it be any easier for me to get another one as I've been through the process before?

Unfortunately, after you have been outside the US for one year after obtaining immigrant status or an immigrant visa you have permanently abandoned that status and would have to go through the entire process from scratch.

Whoever petitioned you would need to start the process all over again.

Hurts to tell you this but that is the law.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith