Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I had a conditional card and now have a permanent one past 6

Customer Question

I had a conditional green card for two and now have a permanent one for the past 6 months. My marriage is not doing well and it looks like it's heading for a separation/ divorce. If this happens how will it affect my immigration status and naturalization
process?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

I sorry for your troubles.

If the marriage unravels you will not loose your permanent resident status. Keep lots of documentationof the good faith marriage up to point of separation, such as evidence joint accounts and assets.

You will have to wait the 5 years from date of adjustment of status on your card to apply for naturalization.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Hello, how are you? Did you find my answer helpful? Did you have a follow-up question?
Judith