Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I had serious back surgery while my spouse(male) was

Customer Question

I had serious back surgery while my spouse(male) was visiting here in Sheridan, Montana, USA from the UK on a Visa Waiver Program Visa. He is due to fly back to the UK on the 13th of August, 2015. The doctor said that Bill, my spouse, is doing such a great job in helping with my recovery that he wanted me to ask if there is any possible way that Bill could get an emergency 90 day extension on his VWP visa so that he could help me completely recovery from said surgery?
We realize that time is certainly of the essence an appreciate your answer to our question. Sincerely, ***** ***** and William Whyman(UK)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

NO, he can get up to an additional 30 days but he has to go in person with the doctor letter to the USCIS office before his 90 days is over. That leaves very little time.

Only the District Director can grant an exceptional hardship waiver of the 90 day VWP.

I understand. I am soon to go through what you have just experienced but if he does not show up and make his request before the 13th he will not be able to use the ESTA VWP for at least 5 years and would have to apply for the B2 from the Embassy. He has to schedule the appt online here

https://infopass.uscis.gov/

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Also please see this link
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1024/~/how-to-extend-my-visa-waiver-program-stay-in-the-u.s.-if-there-is-an-emergency
Judith
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Was my answer helpful even if not want you would have liked to hear?
May I answer anything additional?
Judith