Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

The *J1 visa that I came to US with provided me SSN. Visa

Customer Question

The *J1 visa that I came to US with provided me SSN. Visa itself expired the same year 2011. Question is my ssn still valid and is it true ones social number was given it's yours forever? Thanks:)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

That is your number for life. It never changes.

It is a valid number but it is not work authorized. If an employer attempts to verify if it is valid for employment it will come up negative.

Not all employers do that.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got hired by a company that used my ssn for paychecks, am I simply lucky they didn't check it for work authorization?
Can I fearlessly use it for other needs?
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

You were very lucky and just continue to hope your luck holds out and ICE does not raid the employer and request them to produce all their I-9s that employers are supposed to have employees sign verifying identity and employment eligibility.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-9

There is no way I can tell you that you can be fearless. All you have to do is jaywalk in a city that has an agreement with ICE and they have your ID checked with ICE while you are standing in their custody.

So when you are in the US as undocumented, fearless does not exist. I don't know what needs you want to use the SSN for but you won't be able to get a state ID or driver license without showing legal status.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
May I answer anything for you? Was the answer helpful?
Judith