Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My wife entered the United States before two weeks UNDER

Customer Question

HI
My wife entered the United States before two weeks UNDER IR-1 Visa . they stamp the passport with IR-1 stamp only.
How long it takes to receive the Green Card (Plastic).
Under this type of visas Can she leave the United States before receiving the Green Card ?.
Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

It usually takes one month to receive her actual card.

Look carefully at the immigrant visa. There should be an annotation on it that with her admission stamp she may enter the US using it as a temporary I-551 for one year.

If it is not on there she can make an InfoPass appt at www.uscis.gov and get a temporary I-551 stamp in her passport to travel.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

See this sample. The annotation is right below the picture

http://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs

Thank you in advance for your rating, experts are only compensated when you choose the stars or smiley faces.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello, how are you? Did you find my answer helpful? Did you have a follow-up question?
Judith