Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My Cousin is from India and living on Student Visa and she

Customer Question

My Cousin is from India and living on Student Visa and she would like to marry the Green card Holder who is already in USA.. My question is my cousin can travel on Student visa backhome and come back to USA on the Student Visa while her I-130 Petition is pending upon marriage.
My question is if she marry next week.and file the Petition in September 2015. Can she comeback on Student Visa in Jan 2016 while her immigrant petition is pending? Any other issue
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

When does her student visa stamp expire?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
next 6 year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean she had 6 year Student Visa and she just arrived
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Her visa stamp is for 6 years???????? Or the I-20???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I belive Visa. She is coming here for Master's Program her I-20 May expire in next 2 year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't have any travel plan after Jan 2016. Do you suggest to 1-130Petition file now or after she come back in Jan 2016 to avoid any port entry issue?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you need any additional information ?
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

I just checked and the maximum is 5 years but if her I-20 is only good for 2 years then the visa is only issued for 2 years.

Now the risk of using the visa to enter in January if she has an I-130 filed is that when they scan her visa everything with USCIS comes up on the screen and they see she has an I-130 pending. She can no longer claim intent to return to home country and she is very much at risk to be refused entry as an intending immigrant without an immigrant visa.

Best to wait until she takes the trip in January and returns and then file. After her Master she gets one year OPT or if she is stem an additional 17 months so she can wait for here p riority date to be current.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Patience, please, I was researching the visa validity period on the Dept of State website to be sure of what you were saying.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

I like to be very careful with my answers and not just write anything to give you a quick answer.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
I understand you may not have liked my answer and would have preferred for me to say travel was without risk but then what if she was refused entry and administratively removed at the POE? She would face a 5 year bar if that happened.
That would be most unfortunate and you would be understandably upset if I had not warned of this risk.
Judith