Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am on a visitor visa and want to enroll as a senior in gh

Customer Question

I am on a visitor visa and want to enroll as a senior in high school. Is this possible?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

No, not unless the school has been certified by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to issue an I-20 Foreign Eligibility form and you apply to change status from B2 to F1.

You are in violation of your visitor status to attend school without changing status.

Your visa would be cancelled and you could face a 3 or 10 year bar to ever coming back to the US if you are in the US for more than 180 days after your 6 months expires.

You can go to this link and search if the school is SEVIS approved

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.