Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

We are a startup based in San Francisco, CA

Customer Question

Hello, We are a startup based in San Francisco, CA (C-corp.). There are 2 students from South Korea who are working with one of our investors and want to come here to work with us as part of a student project for one month. They have a tourist visa. Are they allowed to work on the project under that visa? Thank you, C.

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. QUESTION: They have a tourist visa. Are they allowed to work on the project under that visa? ANSWER: No. The tourist visa is exactly that, a tourist visa. They are not allowed to be employed in visitor status n any capacity. They cannot earn an income for any work or employment. In fact, even if they took a volunteer position, if it is one that would otherwise be paid if they were US workers or had the appropriate visas, that is considered employment and is not permitted in tourist status. I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Hi Katy,

How is everything going? Can I assist you further?

Were you not satisfied with my customer service?

Thank you,