Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

How long after I get my permanent green card Can I get divorced?

Customer Question

How long after I get my permanent green card Can I get divorced? Are there any repercussions? Will I have any issues be deported because my marriage is over?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. QUESTION: How long after I get my permanent green card Can I get divorced? Are there any repercussions? Will I have any issues be deported because my marriage is over? ANSWER: Technically, you can get a divorce even before you get the permanent card or any time after. But if you get a divorce too soon after getting the permanent green card, the USCIS might suspect that you remained married only for the purpose of getting immigration benefits. I suspect that is what you are concerned about, but unfortunately, there is no specific right or wrong answer. And while it might not be an issue immediately, this can follow you until naturalization. Why? Because when the time for naturalization comes, you will be required to provide information about marriages, both past and present. If it is discovered that you got a divorce just after having the conditions removed, that can come up. You might be required to provide proof of your bona fide marriage up until the time in question. If the officer is not convinced, the application can be denied, and it could - although unlikely - end in revocation of your green card for fraud. So the longer you wait to get a divorce, the better. I would say that practically speaking, 6 months is OK, but a year would be safe. Three months would be too short, in my professional opinion. This is not a hard and fast rule, but it is a guideline to consider. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Hi again, I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above. Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question. Thank you!