Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I was born and raised in Brazil, I have a Brazilian passport

Customer Question

I was born and raised in Brazil, I have a Brazilian passport that expired in 2002, but I also have a citizenship in the USA and an American passport. How can I renew my expired Brazilian passport and update my Brazilian citizenship?
Thank you!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. Please answer the following: Where do you currently live? Is there any reason you think you cannot get a new passport of Brazil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James!
I live in New Mexico. I was told that the laws have changed in Brazil, and that I need to have my Brazilian passport to enter Brazil, but I have not renewed my Brazilian passport since 2002, and have not keep up with the elections, voting, etc...
Thank you. Kindly remember to rate my customer service before leaving the site today. Otherwise, I do not get any credit or reward for doing my job. Thank you! As to your question, yes, you must have a passport for Brazil if you are a citizen of Brazil and intend to enter Brazil. As to how to get a passport, you need to apply for one from the consulate of Brazil. The Houston Consulate has jurisdiction over New Mexico, so I would focus my energy there. Here is all of the information you need to get a new Brazilian passport through the consulate in Houston: http://houston.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/brazilian_passport.xml They can answer any specific questions you have about their processing and documentary requirements. I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
James,
I visited my family in Brazil in 2009 with my American passport. Do you know if this changed since then. Do the Brazilian law requires now for me to have the Brazilian passport?
Hello again. Kindly remember to give me a rating before leaving the site today. Otherwise I do not get credit for doing my job. This is very important to me. Please do not leave until you have given me 3, 4 or 5 stars. Thank you! ANSWER: As I said in my response to you above, you do require your passport to enter Brazil. A citizen of Brazil MUST use their Brazilian passport to enter Brazil. I do not know when that became the rule, but it did change relatively recently. Note that the United States requires the same thing of its citizens. If you are a Us citizen, then you must enter the US with your passport. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Hi again, I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above. Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question. Thank you!