How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3838
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the steps brother to apply status

Customer Question

What are the steps for a brother to apply for immigration status for his sister? The sister already resides in the U.S., and has been in the U.S. for many years, but does not have a green card. The sister and brother are over age 50.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.
This is not a good situation for many reasons. Let me ask a few questions:
1) The brother is a U.S. Citizen?
2) The sister was born in what country?
3) How did the sister enter the U.S.? Illegally or with a visa? Which visa?
4) If she entered with a visa, has her stay expired? When?
5) When did she enter the U.S.?
6) How old was she when she entered the U.S.?
7) Did she have an I-130, I-140, or Labor Certification filed for her or under which she was named as a child, on or before April 30, 2001?
Please answer each question as it is important and do not be afraid to answer. I will not ask for any personal information like name, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mr. Senmartin,Thanks for your quick reply. I do understand the need for more information; I will need to contact the brother to get the information and then follow-up with you. I think that they realize that it's not a good situation and want to figure out how to resolve, if they can. How should I contact you once I have the answers to these questions? Thanks.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just respond here. Take your time. You are not limited and your question does not expire. I will be around. I may have some good news as well because of some recent PROPOSED changes, but I still need that information to at least tell them how long it will take because it will probably take a number of years before she can get Residency through him.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Just checking in. Were you able to get that information for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I don't have the answers yet. I was hoping to see the person in church on Sunday but did not see him. I will have to wait until Sunday to get the answers.
As a side note, I noticed on my bank statement that my account was charged $5 and $43 but I have not yet received an answer for the $43 charge. Can you please arrange to reverse the $43 charge until I have actually received an answer and accepted it? I will call the toll free number as well, if that's easier. Thanks.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. You pay first, then later, when you are satisfied, you leave a positive rating for me (not the website) and that way the website compensates me from a small part of the deposit that you made. Your question does not expire, so take your time. If you want to want a refund, you can ask for one at any time, no questions asked and they will give you back 100% of your funds, but your question with me will close. So don't worry, just leave it open and get me the information when you can. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will re-read the fee disclosure language on the website and follow-up as needed. Thanks!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I will be here. Thank you.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. Any word?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
It's a shame that you do not want to respond. You aren't going to find such detailed help from a licensed professional for more economic of a price. I do hope you respond. You won't be disappointed.