Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

A sixteen year old Serbia high school student (sophomore) would

Customer Question

A sixteen year old Serbia high school student (sophomore) would like to join in twenty-three year old brother who is in college (F1 status). They both will live with me in Knoxville, TN. The older student has lived with me for four years. Is there an advantage for the sixteen year old to be adopted by myself so that in the future he may continue to live in the US?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Unfortunately, it is too late to adopt to pass on a U.S. immigration benefit. Why? Because the law states that a child must be under 16 when the adoption process is completed. The ONLY exception is if a U.S. Citizen sibling adopts him and then the adoption must be completed before the child turns 18. So unfortunately, it is too late. The only option I see would be the following and it is complicated: First, the brother looks into the MAVNI program and enters U.S. Military service and then after that, becomes a U.S. Citizen.Second, he adopts his brother before his brother turns 18. Here is a link to the MAVNI program: http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/what-is-mavni-information-for-designated-school-officials Hopefully he can get it all done in time before his brother turns 18. If not, then his brother can do the same thing he did, find a school or program to accept him and do his own F-1 or J-1 visa. Here are some links to get you started: http://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/ I wish I had a better and easier solution for you, but the law is restricting and has few options in this regard. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.