Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

As a permanent resident alien, convicted of a felony in 97,

Customer Question

as a permanent resident alien, convicted of a felony in 97, deemed deportable in 98, if i were to marry a us citizen i have been with since 82, could i be deported if US/Cuba relations improve?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.
It depends on what the felony is. What was the felony and what was the sentence? You may have a different solution for you.
I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. Asking for a refund did not make sense when I was just trying to help. I will take the chance on you and give you the information and hope that you leave a positive rating for me. If you are deportable after having gotten Residency through the Cuban Adjustment Act, marriage to a U.S. Citizen would not make you not deportable. You MIGHT be able to get a waiver depending on what the offense is. My better solution for you would be to get rid of the conviction that makes you deportable. How? Well, you have a few options: 1) Get a full and unconditional governor's or U.S. Presidential pardon for the crime. 2) Hire a VERY good criminal attorney to look into the possibility of reopening your criminal case because something was done incorrectly at the criminal level. If the case can be reopened, then the conviction needs to be vacated (set aside) and then you would need an agreement from the prosecutor not to prosecute you again (which they can do). You can try looking for an attorney at www.ailalawyer.com. 3) Convince the majority of the U.S. Congress to change the law or to make a law of special application only for you called a Private Bill. These options essentially would eliminate the conviction so that Immigration cannot use it against you to deport you or prevent you from getting Residency again through the Cuban Adjustment Act. Unfortunately, sealing or expunging the conviction does not work. 4) IF you became a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident while inside the U.S. AND you have a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident spouse or son or daughter that would suffer EXTREME HARDSHIP if you are deported, then you MIGHT stand a chance to not be deported and get Residency again. I have successfully done cases like this before. If you can take care of the conviction, you can re-adjust status under the Cuban Adjustment Act. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.