Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

My relative is from Vietnam and married. Both he and his wife

Customer Question

my relative is from Vietnam and married. Both he and his wife are US citizens. His nephew entered the country on a student visa in 6/2013. He recently adopted his son in the US and got adoption paperwork from the California court as well as a 'birth' certificate.
The I20 student visa expired 6/2014. So he doesn't have evidence of being a permanent residence in the country currently. Can he get a US passport?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today. Your question is a bit confusing. Please be more specific. Can who get a US passport? Who reently a son in the US? Please go step by step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can his adopted son get a US passport? He currently has a Vietnamese passport with an expired I-20 student visa.
Yes, the parent's student visa should not prevent the child from being isssued a US passport if the child has proof that he was born here in the US. There are many people here in the US that are undocumented or out of status whose children were born in the US and are able to get passports in this situation. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess my question wasn't clear so I will try again. The parents are US Citizens. They adopted their nephew who was born in Vietnam not in the US. He was here on a student visa known as an I-20. The student visa expired in June 2014 and in May 2015 they were able to adopt him. They have adoption paperwork from the court plus they now have a birth certificate.The US passport application says that they have to show that the adopted "son" has LPR - Legal Permanent Residency by showing a green card or equivalent. How can they get a passport, or something else that proves he's a US citizen?
How old was the adopted son/nephew when they adopted him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15
What is his DOB and what is the date the adoption became final?