Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am Himadri. I have a question regarding the switching

Customer Question

Hi, I am Himadri. I have a question regarding the switching from H1b to J1 waiver and then again to H1b. Do I have to fulfill the 1 yr out of the country requirement for H1B even if I get a waiver for J1?
Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the J1 waiver has nothing to do with the 6 year maximum period allowed on the H1B. The J1 waiver merely allows you to be eligible for another visa category without fulfilling the 2 year home residency rule requirement under 212e.The H1B maximum peirod of 6 years is a totally different law.I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.Judith