LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced law for more than 25 years.
15277592

I would like to retire in Mexico and wondering what

Customer Question

Hello, I would like to retire in Mexico and wondering what type of visa will be more appropriate for me: FMT2 or FMT3?
Thank you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Which visa you seek is largely dependent on whether your goal is to become a Naturalized Mexican citizen/Permanent Resident Alien or not
The FMT2 visa would be the way that you want to go if you envision retiring in Mexico and want to become a naturalized Mexican citizen or permanent resident alien. With the FMT2 visa you can renew it annually for the first 4 years, and after the 4th renewal you are then eligible for Naturalized Mexican citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien status. To be eligible for this visa you also need to show annual income of about $24,000.
Whereas with the FMT3 visa, you are allowed to stay as long as you wish, by renewing the visa annually, but the process does not lead to your eligibility for Naturalized Mexican citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug