Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My Colombian fiancee has two daughters ages 20 & 18. They live

Customer Question

My Colombian fiancee has two daughters ages 20 & 18. They live at home and are dependent on her for support. Can they come here with her as part of the K-3/K-4 process?
We are getting married in Colombia on August 15th, 2015.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert,just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. MY ANSWER: Unfortunately, under the law, you can only extend immigration benefits to step-children if the relationship was formed (i.e., you married their mother) before they turned 18 years old. So in this case, they would not be eligible to immigrate with their mother as K2 (fiance dependents) or K4 (spouse dependents). Once their mother becomes a permanent resident, she can petition for them to come as permanent residents. But it will be a few years before they would be eligible to immigrate to the US permanently, and get green cards through their mother. One option would be for them to come to the US as non-immigrants (students, for example) before their mother comes to the US. And then once she gets her green card, she can petition for them. I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, this is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Hi again,
I think we are experiencing some technical issues. I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.
Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.
Thank you!