Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I HAVE BEEN VIDEO CHATTING WITH FIANCEE DO I NEED

Customer Question

i HAVE BEEN VIDEO CHATTING WITH FIANCEE FOR MONTHS DO I NEED TO TRAVEL THERE TO MEET IN PERSON ----tO K1 PROCESS?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
The answer is yes. Either she comes to you, or you come to her, or both of you meet somewhere. It does not matter where, as long as the two of you meet. Meeting your fiance is a requirement of USCIS prior to the fiance visa being processed, and this requirement is demanded within two years of filing the petition.
There are two exceptions to this:
1) The requirement to meet the fiance would violate strict and long-established customs of your or her culture or social practice or religion; or
2) The requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to the U.S. citizen. Most common reason here is health, i.e. inability to travel.
See more here.
For either #1 or #2, you can file a waiver and ask USCIS to waive the requirement to meet, although this is at USCIS's discretion.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.