Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am an international student and I just had been academic

Customer Question

hi, I am an international student and I just had been academic dismiss by my school, so the sevis record would be terminated. However, I had reapplied a new school since I really want to continue my study at the states and they gave me the offer. They would issue a new i20 for me. So here comes the question, whether should l reapply a new f1 visa since someone say I don't have to because the visa hasn't expired but some say since the sevis record had been terminated, leading to the invalid of my f1 visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
SEVIS being updated of recent events does not invalidate one's F1 visa, meaning there is no need to "reapply" for the visa.
However, one does need to work with the new school as soon as possible so it can issue a new I-20 and new SEVIS number. There may be a SEVIS reinstatement fee. Without the new I-20, the holder of the visa may still have to leave USA.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get it. Do you mean that as long as I get a new i20 then I don't have to worry about reapplying the new visa? I am very worry about reapplying the visa event because the officer would see my previous record and it is hard to receive a new visa for someone who had a terminated sevis record
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Correct.
As long as you have followed the proper transfer procedures for your I-20, you will be able to use your current, unexpired F1 visa to re-enter the U.S. even though it has your previous school name printed on it. There is no need to "renew" the F-1 visa. The I-20 is actually the most important factor here.
As long as you have followed the proper transfer procedures, you will be able to use your current, unexpired visa to re-enter the U.S. even though it has your previous school name printed on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
transfer procedures? I dont get it. I thought the former and the latter i20 would have no relation?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
By transfer procedures, I mean apply with and be accepted into the new school, and have them issue a new I-20 and new SEVIS number. In essence, this would be "transferring" the I-120 from the old school to the new school.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but if they issue and build up a new sevis and number for me, why would if be called "transferring" since I thought they are two independent profile?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I think we are getting stuck on the verbiage. It really does not matter what you call it. The point is, the new school will update your I-20 and reflect it on your SEVIS record.
This is what needs to be done - ASAP.
No re-application for the actual F1 visa is required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry because i really want to make sure that whether should I reapply for the new visa. So as long as I get my new i20 then everything would be fine for the future study?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
No worries.
I cannot guarantee that "everything will fine." I do not know how long you have been out of status. I do not know your immigration history. And, I do not know how good the international offices of the new school are to help an international student.
But assuming this JUST happened, things should be okay provided the new school's international student office moves to update your record and the I-20.
There is generally no need to renew/reapply for the F-1 visa itself.