Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

If you know someone who paid to get married to get there papers.in

Customer Question

if you know someone who paid to get married to get there papers.in the end they divorce the person as part of the deal.can that person get in trouble? even if 5 years have pasted and they already have there s.s# ***** they are well in the system as a resident with a child?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. There is a 5 year statute of limitations on bringing charges in such a criminal matter. And while it was argued in court that the 5 years would not begin to run until the discovery of the fraud, the Eleventh Circuit saw differently, and held that a fraudulent marriage was not a continuing offense, but rather was completed upon the marriage, or, "marriage." Because a specific statute of limitations had not been referenced, the default would be 5 years, which had already passed by that time.Therefore, I suggest, that in your scenario the charges would be barred by a 5 year statute of limitations and in essence the answer to your question is no.