Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am currently on a TN visa and would like to change status

Customer Question

I am currently on a TN visa and would like to change status to a H1B visa and then obtain a green card. I have a Bachelor's degree in Education and a Master's degree in Special Education.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you kindly for requesting me to assist you with your concerns. How can I help exactly, what is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I self petition for a visa or a green card. If so, how do I go about doing it?
Hi, You cannot 'self-petition' for an H1B. A company has to petition for you. Therefore if you obtain a position, the company has to file on your behalf, you cannot file directly. You can file for a green card on your own, however, via lottery. Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Essentially, my colleague is correct, but I believe you are asking more about self-petition through employment. It is possible, but very difficult. Here is a link: So basically, if you can prove you are nationally or internationally recognized in your field, you could try for an EB-1A green card and here is a link: http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-first-preference-eb-1 Or if you could prove that your employment in the U.S. would be of national interest, you can apply for an EB-2 National Interest Waiver (NIW) green card and here is a link to that: http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-second-preference-eb-2 In both methods, you can avoid a Labor Certification which is costly and time-consuming. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.