Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I am on an F1 visa. I graduated on May 8 2015. I applied

Customer Question

Hi, I am on an F1 visa. I graduated on May 8 2015. I applied for an opt on the first week of May 2015. As of yet I did not get anything in the mail. Could I continue to say in the US. If so for how long? The day when I made an appointment with the designated
school official, I did get a piece of paper look like an i-20 with the word "opt" on it. I am uncertain as so what it says. My SEVIS number is ***** I got a i- form from
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today. Yes, you can stay in the US until you receive a decision about the OPT. Right now you are in a temporary period of authorized stay where you are allowed to stay here until you hear back from USCIS. Also remember that even if you had not applied for OPT , you had a 60 days grace period after graduation. OPT processing usually can take up to 3 months. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing the Happy faces. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal. If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.