Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

If a defendant is sentenced to the jail due to criminal

Customer Question

If a defendant is sentenced to the jail due to criminal charge such as moral turpitude , how long is the jail time for the sentence that the defendant will be deported if he only has the green card - I mean what is the minimum jail time for the sentence
enables the qualification to be deported if the defendant is in USA for more than 10 years with Green Card and has no criminal record before ? Also after the defendant completes the jail time, how he is deported? Will he be sent to the immigration Jail/detention
center to wait for the deportation as soon as he gets out of jail? How the immigration agency knows where to contact the defendant? Is the deported country will be notified? Does the defendant allows to bring a luggage to leave the USA? Does he need buy his
own air ticket?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. It depends on what the offense is, not only the amount of jail time. Some offenses are deportable even if they are misdemeanors. What was the actual crime that the person was convicted of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not convicted. It is just a charge by prosecutor with CR 3 202 and CR 3 203. Just worry about the deportation.
So these are assault charges? Please explain the situation and who the assault was against.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel like to discuss the details because it is not for me. It is for my friend. Can you just answer my questions?
My friend, I think you know that immigration law is very complicated and deportation is often a risk. I need to know all the details to give a good answer. If you want to have a private phone conversation, I can keep that fee low so that it is not costly and we can do that in private. Would you like me to send that offer to your private email? Also, I notice that you have 4 posted questions and only 1 rated answer. A positive rating is VERY important. A number of other experts have helped you and you have never rated them which means they never got compensated for their time with you. Please consider rating them now and let me know how you would like to proceed.
Like for example, a simple assault that is against a family member is domestic violence. Domestic violence is a deportable offense. This is why I need to know more details. We can speak on the phone in private or we can discuss it here if you like and later I can lock it down for privacy so that no one else can read it. Let me know. Thank you!