Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

US citizen's mother who entered US legally but has pending

Customer Question

US citizen's mother who entered US legally but has pending asylum case can be sponsored by son for green card?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Is the son a US citizen?
Judith
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
US citizen's mother has pending asylum case. Though entered US legally. Can she withdraw her asylum case and be sponsored by son for green card, as it is quicker than waiting for asylum decision which takes forever?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes son became citizen while mother was waiting for asylum interview
Definitely the son can file the I-130 for the mother and the mother may apply for adjustment of status.There is no prohibition from her being eligible for 245a adjustment of status as the immediate relative of a US citizen. Even if she has been in the US beyond her authorized stay she is still eligible for adjustment as the parent of an adult US citizen.This is the best option for her.I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.Judith
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And the fact that she has pending asylum case won't hurt her adjustment of status?
No it will not harm her adjustment of status. She can withdraw the asylum claim at her adjustment.Judith