Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

If my mother became a U.S citizen in 1992 and I was 11 years

Customer Question

If my mother became a U.S citizen in 1992 and I was 11 years old in her custody. Law for minor being a citizen through parents was pass in 2001. Does that make me a citizen?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. And you are the only person who can help me get credit by giving me a positive rating before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that.
Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.
Please answer the following:
What is your status now?
What was your status when she became a US citizen?
What is your exact birth date?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 -14-81
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a permanent green card
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an old green card with my 4 years old picture on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Immigration says I haft to re new my green card. Can I still fill the n600 form with the old green card or do I haft to get a new green card before I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Discussion by Email. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I received a notification that you've requested a phone call. Do you want me to send you an offer for that? Or would you prefer to continue here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Continue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer my questions please
OK, no problem. But please do not ask to have a phone call or email conversation if you do not intend to do so. It confuses the technology. Also, because I might be working with several customers at the same time, I have to answer question in the order they are received. When you post multiple responses without getting one from me, it puts your question at the bottom of my list, causing further delays. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
AS to your question about green cards, you are still a permanent resident even if your card expires. But you do need to apply for a new version of the card in order to be up to date and have the appropriate identification of your status.
As to the question of citizenship, that will take some time to analyze. Also, I need some more information:
Did both parents naturalize?
Did you only have one surviving parent at the time?
Or did your mother have legal custody after a legal separation or divorce?
Or was your other parent already a US citizen?
Or were you born out of wedlock and not legitimated by your father?
just wanted to let you know that I edited my response with more questions for you to answer. Please review it and respond. Thank you1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just my mother became a u.s citizen in 1992 my mother was not married to my father
Have you been legitimated by your father? Do you have a relationship with him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His die since 1988
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother bought me to the country since 1985
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother did have legal custody of me in 1992
OK, thank you. Kindly remember to rate my customer service before leaving the site today. You are the only person who can guarantee that I get credit for doing my job. And like you, I just want to get credit for doing my job like anyone else. So this is very important. You do this by giving me 3, 4 or 5 stars, or any of the smiling faces, when you are asked to give a rating. Thank you!
I think I have good news. It appears you already derived citizenship when your mother naturalized.
At the time of her naturalization, the law said if you were under 18 and a permanent resident when your mother became a US citizen, and your US citizen parent was the only surviving parent, then you derived US citizenship automatically. It appears you have done that successfully and therefore became a US citizen.
Now you need proof of that. You can apply for a Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization by filing form N-600.
I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.
I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.
REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.
Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.
A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.
If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.
Thank you!
Hi again,
I think we are experiencing some technical issues. I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.
Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.
Thank you!