Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience.
16823287

I am on h1 visa and living in Los Angeles. My girl friend is

Customer Question

I am on h1 visa and living in Los Angeles. My girl friend is visiting me this week on a B2 visa. We are from the same country And neither of us have birth certificate or other documents with us. I only have the CA driver license and she only has the passport.
We are now on a trip in Napa Vally and Said n Francisco until this Friday. Then she will leave next Monday. I wonder whether it is possible to register in the US in this week. If so, what shall I do?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.
1. You do not have to be a California resident or US citizen to marry.
2. Both of you must present a valid authentic legal photo identification card containing photograph, full legal name, date of birth, date of issue, and date of expiration So your passport and/or driver's license will work.
3. If the legal picture I.D. card does not contain your full legal name you must also present a certified copy of birth certificate or social security card, showing your full legal name.
4. Here's where you go to register:
San Francisco County Clerk
City Hall, Suite***** Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA###-##-####
Phone:(###) ###-####
5. A blood test is not required and a marriage license is issued within 30 minutes of checking in for your marriage license reservation appointment. Also, marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from issuance date for a ceremony anywhere in the State of California. A marriage license is only a permit to get married and you are not married until a ceremony is performed by an authorized person.
6. Civil ceremonies are performed by a Deputy Marriage Commissioner Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time.
If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to rectify any misunderstanding we may be having. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off. Alternatively, if you want a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, if you want to get in touch with me in the future, you can start your question with "This is for Expert Maverick" and it will get routed to me.
Thank you for using Just Answer.