Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I had my interview of status through vawa. My

Customer Question

I had my interview for adjustment of status through vawa. My concerns are. I Had a tax lien which has been paid off but seem to appear of my public record. I also told the IO that I have a son while I was separated with my wife before we divorced. My son is not bearing my name right cos the mother has not obtained his birth certificate. Thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today.
PLease tell me what your specific questions are regarding these concerns and your adjustment of status interview.
I will be happy to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Nothing related to question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had my interview for adjustment of status through vawa i360. My concerns are. I Had a tax lien which has been paid off but seem to appear of my public record. I also told the interviewer that I have a son while I was separated with my ex wife before we divorced in January 2015. My son is not bearing my name right now cos the mother has not obtained his birth certificate. Will any of these factors in my approval.... Having a son who does not bear my name. Having him with another woman while I was still married to my ex. State tax lien which I have paid but appears no my public record.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Hi Adetayo,
I have not yet given you your answer so it could not be innacurate. I just wanted to know exactly what your questions are. Thanks for giving me more information on your questions.
I have many years of experience with VAWA applications and I-485 so I can tell you that neither of these issues alone are reasons for the I-485 to be denied under VAWA. You are exempt from filing an I-864 so the tax issue would not matter. As far as having a child with another woman, this does not affect yoru I-485. It may have affected the VAWA application, but it does not mean that you are not a battered spouse only because you had a child with another woman.
IN my experience, I do not believe that you would be denied just because you have a tax lien whether it's paid for or not and also you would not be denied because you had a child with another person, whether you are on the birth certificate or not.
Once you are approved for your green card and you are eligible for citizenship in 3 years, the tax lien MAY become a problem. At that point, you should take proof to USCIS that the tax lien is paid such as a letter from the IRS showing no balance. FOr this process, you don't have to worry about that.
The same goes for the issue with your son. If you are going to appear on his birth certificate, you will have to disclose that you have a child during citizenship. At that point you will have to show that you are paying child support if you have a child support order or that you help the mom financially if you are not married.
But for now, just for these reasons, again I do not believe you would be denied.
Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!
Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing the Happy faces. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .
Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.
If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.