Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am from Gautamala and have been in the country since 1994.

Customer Question

I am from Gautamala and have been in the country since 1994. I have not been here legally. My husband is now a US Citizen ( for the last three years). My children were born here and I was married here. A lawyer told me I might have to go back to Guatamala for a year before becoming a citizen. I already have my clearance from the dept. of homeland security. I am not sure if I trust my lawyer. What do I need to do to become a Citizen based on the fats of my case? If I go to immigration for help can they deport me? I have committed no crimes in Guatamala or this country.
Thank you for whatever help you can give me.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** I am a licensed attorney and I am here to help resolve your legal issue. Tackling legal issues can sometimes get cumbersome or confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested in these - I am happy to give you more details! You are NOT charged per question and you are NOT charged per response, so post at your desire! Just please remember that sometimes the law does not have an easy or convenient solution and that is not the fault of the expert. Please do not shoot the messenger.

First, you have to become a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. For that, I have to know how you entered the U.S. and when you entered the U.S. Did you enter illegally without a visa?