Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

What is the L1B clock reset time, below is my entry/ exit

Customer Question

What is the L1B clock reset time, below is my entry/ exit dates to US Date Entered US - 9/25/2010 To Date Left US - 7/19/2011 - 287 Days Date Entered India - 7/20/2011 To Date Left India - 4/6/2012 - 262 Days Does the Clock Reset years for max L1B stay
of 5 yrs ?? Date Entered US - 4/7/2012 To Date Left US - 09/02/2015 - 1262 Days Can I file for second L1B Extension for 5 yrs minus 1262 days (around 18 months)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
My apologies, I am having difficulty understanding our dates.
I don't understand "TO DATE LEFT INDIA"
To Date usually means present time.
Does it have a special meaning here?
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Date Entered US - 9/25/2010
Date Left US - 7/19/2011 - 287 Days
__________________________________________________
Date Entered India - 7/20/2011
Date Left India - 4/6/2012 - 262 Days
______________________________________________________
Question =
Does the Clock Reset years for max L1B stay of 5 yrs ??
________________________________________________________
Date Entered US - 4/7/2012
Date Left US - 09/02/2015 - 1262 Days
_________________________________________________________
Question = Can I file for second L1B Extension for 5 yrs minus 1262 days (around 18 months)
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Date Entered India - 7/20/2011
To reset the clock you would have had to not return to the US until 7/21/2012
You came back 4/7/12.
No reset.
Now I have to calculate your days in the US because I do not understand if you are calculating your time in or your time out of the Us.
I will get back to you.
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judith, Can you research further, because I heard L1B reset is time 6 months, means if I am in India more than 6 months, next 5 year clock starts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is L1B Blanket Petition, issued in step 2010.Date Entered US - 9/25/2010
Date Left US - 7/19/2011 - 287 Days
Date Entered India - 7/20/2011
Date Left India - 4/6/2012 - 262 Days
Question =
Date Entered US - 4/7/2012
Date Left US - 09/02/2015 - 1262 Days (I94 Extension filed and approved during this stay)
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
On your first stay I calculate 361 days
On your second stay I calculate 1243 days.
There are 1825 days in 5 years.
You have 221 days remaining on your 5 years.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judith, in one similar question you said that "If you are applying for the L1B you have to go back to reset the clock by workig for the company back in India for 6 months."I was in India working for the same company for approx. 9 months, does that not reset the clock for next 5 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And it is a l1b blanket petition
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Regulations have changed and now it is 1 year.
Regs change frequently.
The blanket petition makes no difference - 5 years in and 1 year out to reset the clock.
Judith
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
I spent a great deal of time trying to understand your dates and doing calculations. I am disappointed that you did not find the information helpful. I do not control the law or the changes in regulations but am happy to answer further questions to satisfy you.
I have sent you an offer for sykpe time.
Judith