Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

What to do when passport gets lost with K-1 visa?

Customer Question

what to do when passport gets lost with K-1 visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
He needs to file a police report and get a new passport issued.
He also needs to send an email to the US Embassy immediately to notify them of the lost passport so they can cancel the visa so no one else can use it. It is is used by someone then he will have a very long wait to get a new visa issued.
The visa office will investigate this before re-issuing the visa in the new passport because there is a lot of visa fraud and people say they lost their passport and instead sell it for someone else to use to enter the US and then they try to get a new visa issued in a new passport.
Diplomatic Security will get involved in investigating this and may even call your fiance in or go to his home and interview him to determine if this is a bona fide lost passport.
Nothing is going to happen fast here and actually the 4 months may expire and he may no longer qualify for re-issuance.
Not a good thing for him to loose. It has really complicated your and his life.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Here is the contact information for him to notify the embassy
Lost Visas
For a lost visa issued in Manila, send a copy of the police report or affidavit of loss with the visa holder’s full name and date of birth to the Embassy’s Fraud Prevention Unit. They can be sent to any of the following:
Fax number: (02)(###) ###-####
E-mail:***@******.***
Postal Address: Fraud Prevention Unit, American Embassy Manila, Roxas Boulevard, Ermita, Manila 1001
Upon receipt of the notification, the visa will be cancelled. In case the visa is recovered, do not use it.
There is NO AUTOMATIC REPLACEMENT of lost visas. One has to reapply for a nonimmigrant visa in order to make future trips to the United States by complying with the Nonimmigrant Visa Application Procedures.
Judith
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Mabuhay,
Was my answer not helpful? I am happy to answer any additional questions about this problem.
I understand your anxiety and frustration with this situation, and I am sure you understand experts are only compensated for their time if you are satisfied and give a positive rating.
What more can I do to assist?
Judith