Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am since 1 year in the USA with the L1B. I am planning to

Customer Question

I am since 1 year in the USA with the L1B. I am planning to extend my 797B next year which is valid until 2017. I just realized I lost it. So far I never needed it. Will I need it when I apply for an extension or even sooner? how can I get a duplicate and how long does it take?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
You lost your copy, does the employer or their attorney have their copy?
Do you have your I-94?
Was it an individual petition or blanket?
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have my I94. but I lost the original I-797B Notice of Action, which is basically the work permission and was required to get my L1B Visa. I still have a copy and I am in the USA already for a year. So how much does this lost hurt me?
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Don't panic.
You don't need the original as long as you have a copy and your original I-94.
It is your I-94 that is your work permission, not the I-797.
A copy of the I-797 is all you need if you travel because the CBP does not rely on the paper version. They verify your petition approval in the electronic system that appears on their screen when you go through inspection.
Your employer will have a petition approval in their files which they need for your I-9 record they have to keep.
That is all they will need when they go to extend your stay.
So you can relax and not worry about the original. You don't need it for anything that the copy cannot do for you along with your original I-94.
Sleep without worry.
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith