Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I have a question, I want to marry this girl, but it happens

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question, I want to marry this girl, but it happens that she is my paternal half-brother's daughter, we are deeply in love, and we did not know we were related until later in the relationship. My question is would there be a legal problem, and also in terms of immigraton law, will be our marriage legal for her to obtain her residence?,. She entered the US with a tourist visa and has expired 24 months ago. What documents will I need to present after the marriage. Thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.

Is the marriage legal in the state where you live? She would be considered a first cousin.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
I haven't answered your question yet because in order for an immigrant petition to be approved for a first cousin which she is you have to provide evidence that marriage to a first cousin is legal and recognized in the state where you and she will live.
I am trying to help you but I an not a NJ family law expert. I can try to research the code but you may already know if you can marry a cousin in NJ.
I'm not even sure that is where you will marry and live so at least confirm that.
Judith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Humberto,
Is it NJ where you are planning on marrying and living?
Judith