Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

Question regarding US and Canada Student Visa This

Customer Question

FOR JAMES Question regarding US and Canada Student Visa This is in relation to background given in my previous questions (http://my.justanswer.com/question/index/225f92a288a849efbdb2861a57069a3a). Brief Background: Currently working in H1B in USA. Want
to pursue graduate degree in US/Canada. I've chosen one university in US from the offers I got, accepted their offer and have already started the H1B-F1 processing in US I've recently also got an offer from One of the Universities in Canada which I'm interested
in. I'm planning to accept the offer from the Canadian university as well; and planning to start the Canadian student visa procedure. I.e. I am accepting one offer each from one university in US and one in Canada. The reason is, since there is a lot of uncertainty
with my H1-F1 COS; In case it is denied/not processed - I may join the Canadian university. So my decision will be based on the timely processing of the Visa - if one of them get processed fine, and the other is denied - will choose accordingly. If both US/CAN
visas are processed by the deadline (~Mid August), will choose based on academic/financial aid considerations (right now leaning toward the US one). Questions: 1. Is this fine? Is it okay/allowable to accept two offers and start the Visa procedures in two
countries in parallel? 2. If my F1 is processed timely and if I go to the US university, I will not use the Canadian student visa. Is there any potential negative impact to that - e.g. in future visa processing in Canada? Vice versa, if I get and not use the
F1 (let's say I get it late - maybe in September), will it have any issues with future US visa processing? 3. I am accepting the offers from both universities however will obviously go to one. Can there be any problem with that? If I accept but do not show
up, can there be any penalties (Financial) etc? I believe if I can't join due to not having the visa timely, the Universities will be understanding?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for requesting me again. Please, kindly remember to rate my customer service before logging out of this site today, as this is the only way I get credit for doing my job.
Questions 1: Is this fine? Is it okay/allowable to accept two offers and start the Visa procedures in two
countries in parallel?
ANSWER: Yes. Neither country cares that you are seeking visas for the other.
QUESTION 2: If my F1 is processed timely and if I go to the US university, I will not use the Canadian student visa. Is there any potential negative impact to that - e.g. in future visa processing in Canada?
ANSWER: You have to ask a Canada Expert. This is a US immigration topic area. If I were a betting man, I would bet that it is not an issue. Just like with the US, if you get a visa and choose not to use it, that is your prerogative.
QUESTION 3: Vice versa, if I get and not use the F1 (let's say I get it late - maybe in September), will it have any issues with future US visa processing?
ANSWER: No. You are not required or forced to use a visa. It's your choice to pay for something you don't use.
QUESTION 4: I am accepting the offers from both universities however will obviously go to one. Can there be any problem with that?
ANSWER: No.
QUESTION 5: If I accept but do not show up, can there be any penalties (Financial) etc? I believe if I can't join due to not having the visa timely, the Universities will be understanding?
ANSWER: You have to ask the universities. That is not under the jurisdiction of US immigration law. Universities have their own policies.
I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.
I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.
REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.
Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.
A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.
If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.
Thank you!
Hi again,
I think we are experiencing some technical issues. I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.
Please post it again, so I can continue to help you.
Thank you!