Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I would like to get my colombian girlfriend a visa to visit

Customer Question

I would like to get my colombian girlfriend a visa to visit me in the usa
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions. I have 34 years experience as a licensed immigration attorney.
What your occupation and income level are is irrelevant to your getting your gf a visitor visa.
The burden is on her to prove she is not a risk to remain in the US beyond her authorized stay.
That means she has to show she has compelling ties to Colombia, such as a career in which she has held employment for a significant period of time, that she has a residence that requires her committment to remain, such as a long term lease or mortgage, and that she has other strong financial ties that would be at risk should she not return to her country.
If she is able to prove with documentation that she has a lot to loose by not returning to Colombia at the end of her visit she will get the visa to come in as a tourist.
You in the picture can hurt her chances because if the consul knows she has a US citizen bf, they will doubt she will leave you to return to Colombia since if she marries you while visiting she can stay permanently.
It is best if you stay out of her application process.
She will go to the US Embassy website and file her visa application online,, pay the fee and schedule her visa interview appointment at this link
http://bogota.usembassy.gov/nonimmigrant_visas.html
I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith